Saturday, August 21, 2010

Heirlooms outdoors


It was the names that caught me last spring, standing there in the Co-Op, looking at the packets of heirloom seeds.

Grandma Einck's dill.
Bull's blood beets.
Jaune Flamme tomatoes.

And the lettuces!


Bronze Arrowhead lettuce.
Grandpa Admire's lettuce.
Reine de Glaces lettuce.

I succumbed to Grandpa Admire and Flashy Trout's back lettuces and Grandma Einck's dill and a handful of others.
We have eaten them all summer and I decided to try to save seeds.


Just as I began to think it wouldn't happen, the blossoms came, and with them the bees.

It's amazing what quiet drama happens right under your own nose sometimes.

I can hardly wait to gather my own lettuce seeds. (Notice I didn't mention the beets... tougher than the soles on my gardening shoes, and Grandma Einck who didn't sprout worth a hill of beans.)

But the lettuces made up for it.


Even the photos were fun. I have never taken a picture of a bee's behind before!