Monday, September 23, 2013

Norway again... naturally


Norway inspired me so much that today, on my first morning home, I find myself sitting in the studio thinking about what I saw there.


The reflections in still water.

Raindrops.

Women hunting for mushrooms along a forest path.


And the fjords. Always the fjords.

The Norwegians take the simplest materials, leaving them so natural and make them stunningly gorgeous. The countryside is sprinkled with buildings that seem almost to have sprung straight from the earth.



I wish I could cover the studio roof with birchbark like this and plant it with wildflowers and mushrooms... They say that turf is wonderful insulation; all I know is it looks amazing.


The use of stone is another natural touch the Scandinavians use so well.


Seldom have I found a place so inspiring to new art. 
The sketchbook is crammed to overflowing. 
Naturally!